Finžgar’s birth house in Doslovče belongs to the best examples of vernacular architecture of the Gorenjska (Upper Carniola) region. Known as Dolenc cottage, the homestead with a hayrack and barn represents the rural architecture and lifestyle of poor farmers from the second half of the 19th century. Part of the homestead has been converted into a museum dedicated to the priest, writer, and playwright Fran Saleški Finžgar, who was born here in 1871. The homestead was reconstructed and opened as a museum in 1971.
The homestead underwent its first major renovation in 1849, when the writer’s grandfather, Jožef Ažman, added a modest stable to the house. The wooden walls of the house were clad with planks, plastered and painted, and ‘1849’ was engraved above the new bedroom window. The rooms in the main floor are preserved as they were during the time of Finžgar’s childhood: a small entrance area with a traditional black smoke kitchen, pantry, living area and bedroom. The rooms are fitted out with original furniture from the period, some pieces from the actual family and others gathered from elsewhere.
The living area, known as hiša (the house), also served as a workshop. The writer’s grandfather weaved linen and wool fabric on looms, and the writer’s father was the first tailor far and wide to possess a sewing machine. He was known for making sheepskin coats and leather trousers. The hiša is modestly furbished to reflect the humble conditions in which a rural smallholder once lived. The large wooden chest was brought to the homestead by the writer’s father when he married Reza Ažman in 1868. The crucifix above the dining table is surrounded by 14 small-format Stations of the Cross. Three of them are original, while the rest are replicas. There are two benches and just one chair for the housekeeper next to the maple table decorated with intarsia woodwork. Behind the door, opposite ‘God’s corner’, is a traditional inglenook fireplace – a copy of an old Ljubno stove.
Finžgar donated the original matrimonial bed from the bedroom to Prešeren’s birth house in Vrba in 1939, when he was converting the house into a museum. Today, there are two single beds placed in the kamra (bedroom). The cradle is still original to the house. Bedding and clothes were kept in his mother’s chest which is still preserved, while personal items, documents and money were stored in the built-in wall cabinet behind the bedroom door.
The steep external staircase leads to the basement where there were once three rooms. The largest was the cimerc (bedroom) in which the writer’s grandfather Joža and his daughter Neža Ažman slept. Apples, potatoes and sauerkraut were stored in the cellar adjacent to the small stable. On the occasion of the centenary in 1971 of Finžgar’s birth, the basement rooms were re-arranged to host a permanent exhibition on his life and work, containing paintings, photographs, documents and books. In 2013 the basement exhibition was renovated and completed with some of the writer’s personal items.
The old barn opposite the homestead was reconstructed in 1971, while the hayrack with a small shed is the original constructed by Finžgar’s father in the mid-19th century. Like most houses in the area, Finžgar’s house and barn were originally covered with straw, which was later replaced with larch shingles.
Guided tours of Finžgar’s house can be adapted to school groups, smaller groups, individuals or families. Petra, an expert on Finžgar’s times, will be delighted to take you on a journey that touches your soul.
t 04 580 15 03
by prior arrangement
School children: €2
Pre-school children: €1
Adult groups (more than 10 persons): €2.7